Pages

March 5, 2011

French Knots!

Most people don't like making French Knots.  Every once in a while I put a few in a design so I thought I'd show you how I make them.

Most of the time I make a French Knot by wrapping one strand of thread around my needle twice.  Once I do this I insert the needle back down into the fabric where I want the knot to be.  I then slide the wrapped "knot" down the needle to the fabric while keeping the length of the thread taut.

Reach around to the back of the work and pull the needle through slowly so that the knot stays firmly on the needle and doesn't loosen.  The key is to push the knot down to the fabric before pulling the needle through.  The knots stay uniform and small.  Let me know if you have any more tips to add!

And yes, you've seen a preview of a pattern we are releasing in April!

Happy Stitching,
Diane

9 comments:

  1. Ooh.........I like what I see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I usually avoid french knots because they rarely turn out. Won't be afraid to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm... me thinks me see a willow tree... and a very nicely dressed couple... hmmm... me thinks me like... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip! This might make life a little easier when faced with more of these.
    I'm liking what I see in those peeks! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luckely I don't have much troubles with french knots :-) I like the preview, I think this is the one called thirteen colonies if I look at the clothes ;-) I like it !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the explanations, in my last stitch seems that Belle Pepper has glasses!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good tutorial and tip...
    I stink at French knots....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tip, Diane. I'm always a bit apprehensive when it comes to French Knots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to know you use one thread not two. I used two for "Believe" and she has really BIG blue eyes..I'm going to go and take them out and redo them. :) Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time from your day to drop me a line or two!

Diane